In September I had written about getting reconnected with church. I joined two groups rather fast, knowing that Aaron was deploying and knowing that I needed to get out with Riley. I wanted to meet other women, young mom's especially. And I also wanted Riley to get used to being without her momma once in awhile. It is good social skill practice for both of us! Ha.
I really like the church I'm going to and feel they have amazing opportunities and a ton of things for kids (newborn to college age). That was all very important to me. Also, they have excellent (free) childcare during their weekend services, and for most of their morning (and some evening) classes.
I was so nervous to start. Starting was the hardest part actually. I was more nervous that Riley would be a wreck in childcare and cry the entire time. I didn't want to be that mom that had the crying, screaming baby. But at the same time I knew that even if she did cry the entire time, I wasn't the only mom to have ever gone through this! Anyway, she did cry at first when I dropped her off (and still does to this day). She only cries initially when I say "bye" and hand her over. Every single time I have gone to get her at the end of my classes, they say she did great! She plays well, eats a snack, swings, etc.
The other day, after bible study, I went to get her and she was asleep in one of the ladies' arms. She was in the rocking chair with Riley. I couldn't believe my eyes. This kid rarely sits still for us. I can't tell ya the last time she fell asleep in my arms! Too funny. I guess she was tired. Ha. See - she's obviously doing fine with all of this. It makes me so happy.
I love the bible study I'm attending weekly. It's called Effective Parenting in a Defective World and is by Chip Ingram. We're doing the DVD series. It's so good. I've already learned a lot and know I will continue to. I think it'd be a great class for parents to do together too.
I also joined the Mom's Time Out group. It meets every other week. I love the discussions we have during these meetings. It's so laid back and I feel really comfortable talking to the women. And, we get to eat really yummy brunch foods. A huge bonus!
Both of these classes have been amazing. It's one of the best personal decisions I've made in awhile!

So glad you are enjoying your new Church and your Bible study classes and your Mom's Time Out group. Sounds like it's a great benefit for you and Riley in so many ways :-) Mom F.
ReplyDeleteWow Abby what wonderful news about the church programs. Really happy for you that there's a comfortable spiritual home for you and Riley.
ReplyDelete:) Keep us posted on all those yummy brunch foods too!!!
~Christienne