Wednesday, January 25, 2012

toddler phase

We've definitely been getting more and more into the toddler phase around here!

Here are some examples...

Riley insists on doing just about everything on her own.

When she doesn't get her way, she lets me know she's very angry. 

She screams, hits and has full blown tantrums.  (We're working through this...) 

She runs away from me, laughing while doing it.

I can't keep her still.

Only if she chooses to sit - will she sit still.  It makes for interesting shopping trips with her in a cart!

She loves being a big girl now, sitting in adult chairs.

The word "no" is said too many times.  "Riley you want to eat?"  "No."  "Do you want to play?"  "No."  "Do you like saying the word no?"  "No."  You get the point.

She's starting to ask to watch TV.  Huh?  As if I watch it all day long - yah, no.

She whines.  A lot.

She always asks and cries for me to hold her while I'm cooking.  Always.

She's Miss Copycat.  Everything I say, she says.

She's constantly learning.  Constantly.

Every day she throws out a new word (or sentence!) - and it blows my mind.

She said "how are you" to someone she saw in the distance the other day.

She loves running.  Jumping.  Dancing.

We're getting lots of stair practice - but she still doesn't go down our stairs alone.  Scares me!

Climbing up is different.  Easy.

She's starting to be picky about foods.

For instance, she won't touch her broccoli - even though that used to be a favorite.

I couldn't get her to eat anything one day, so gave her a squeeze of ketchup.  Ha, big mistake.  She now asks for ketchup.  Oh geeze.

She still eats every fruit under the sun.

She's asking for juice.  I purposely don't give it to her much - but boy she remembers it exists!

Same with cookies.

This kid (like many) already has a sweet tooth.  It's so evident. 

She loves when Momma has to go "potty."  She plays in the bathroom and loves bugging me. 

Soon, it will be potty training time.  Ay, I am not ready.

We're getting more into the fun, creative stuff - coloring, play-doh, crafts, etc.

Today Riley colored her first picture while in childcare at church.  (She colored the picture all in black.)  I am saving it.  How weird.  My child is already being sent home with artwork?  It's amazing.

She's doing really well with other kids and in childcare.  I do think she needs it - and is enjoying it!  It's a great feeling.

Her 2nd year molars are making their way (still!)  She's been growing these babies for awhile now.  She'll definitely have them in before she's 2.

She loves taking off her clothes.  And we're starting to put them back on too.

I can't keep sweatshirts, hats, mittens, and socks on her very much.

She's asking for "ponytail" and "barrette" but any time I put it in she's still taking them out, usually.  At least she's asking for it!

She's singing "head, shoulders, knees and toes" which is totally a toddler song.  Right?  She's also really into the alphabet song - it's a favorite right now.  "A, C, B" she says.

We're counting.  Some days she counts really well...and other days it's "one, five, eight."

She's a big goofball.  Runs silly.  Squeezes Tater (our cat) with a big smile on her face and acts silly with her toys and Momma too.

She asks for Daddy and talks about him as if she totally gets that he's gone.  I think she knows more about the situation than I can even imagine.

Oh, and jumping in her crib.  She loves that!  (Loves being on Mommy and Daddy's bed too!)

She's climbed out of her crib once now but hasn't done it since.  She had some help from toys to prop her up the one time she did it.

She likes balls, crayons, and dolls.  Big girl toys!

She likes to dress up, already.

She loves to use napkins and wipe her own face.

She's asking to pray at every meal now - and before nap and bedtime too. 

There are so many more things I could share!  The list goes on and on, as I know you all can imagine.

Some of you are also in the toddler phase, or have been in the past.

Any tips on how to stay sane?  Ha ha.  I've learned that praying, exercise, deep breaths and "me" time all help! 

Riley, you are growing up so fast.  Some days I want to scream (and I do) and some days I just don't want to let go of hugging you (and you scream).  Its been fun!  You really are a funny little girl and I have enjoyed being home with you.

We're going to have even more fun once Daddy gets home!

We're on the downhill now of this deployment.  YAY!

I was thinking about taking a vacation - alone - once Aaron gets home. 

I know, how selfish!

Good thing I was just kidding.

3 comments:

  1. Happy end of the deployment! It's super difficult to discipline during that time because you are just exhausted. I hope you do a better job than I did! They want to be so independent and so much of it feels like defiance. When I told my husband what she was doing he thought I was on crack since he was deployed and was an angel while he was here. Now that he is back he knows better :)
    I strongly encourage the vacation, you will need it and DESERVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Take that vacation, girl! You deserve it! :)

    Oh I cannot WAIT to have toddler artwork... and too funny that she said "how are you?" to a random person!!! LOL I have a feeling she is going to be full of surprises as she grows! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks girls! The toddler phase is definitely both fun and exhausting. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you...thanks for commenting!