Tuesday, January 10, 2012

German Chocolate Cupcakes

Riley & I visited my parents yesterday.

My mom's birthday was this past weekend and we wanted to celebrate with her!
(Happy Birthday, Mom!)

I made some German Chocolate Cupcakes to share.


When making most cakes and cupcakes, I like to use the box mix.  It's easy and tastes great to me!  I bought the German Chocolate Cake mix and made the cupcakes according to the package directions.

As usual, I made the icing homemade.  My mom gave me this recipe awhile back from one of my grandma's cookbooks.  It's SO good!

German Chocolate Cake Icing
(Printable Recipe)
 
Ingredients:

7 ounces Evaporated milk
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter
2 beaten egg yolks
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup chopped pecans
Approx. 3 ounces coconut (sweetened)

Directions:

  • Stir all ingredients together over medium heat; stir constantly.
  • Cook for 15 minutes.
  • Remove from heat and beat occasionally while cooling.
  • When cold, add pecans and coconut.
  • Spread over completely cooled cake or cupcakes.



I told my mom that I was actually very selfish when making these, because I really wanted to eat one!  My mom likes them, but so do I...German Chocolate Cake happens to be my all-time favorite.

What's your favorite kind of cake?!

  

3 comments:

  1. I will eat anything resembling or including the word chocolate. :) Those cupcakes look super yummy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Abby,
    They look wonderful and I'm sure they tasted every bit as wonderful. When I was young, German Chocolate cake was the kind I would always ask for, for my birthday. (Now, when my birthday comes around and someone in my family asks me what I would like for a birthday treat, I don't ask for German Chocolate Cake anymore. I love them but I would get canned frosting if I did, ha-ha!)Homemade frosting is the only way to go. I'm sure your mom loved them!
    -Mom F.-

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you...thanks for commenting!