Thursday, November 3, 2011

Fall Vegetable Curry

With Aaron gone, I've been trying to cook dinners that are simple (and still healthy).

It's hard being in the kitchen trying to cook with Riley at my feet, constantly wanting my attention!

Sometimes I cook meals (or at least prepare them) during her naps, to make it much easier.

One night this week, I made this Fall Vegetable Curry.

I made it once before, maybe last year.  And remembered that it was good...and easy!

If you want something healthy, give this a try! 

As the title says - you have to like both vegetables and the taste of curry.

A splash of sweet chili sauce is so good on it, I highly recommend it.


Fall Vegetable Curry
(Printable Recipe)


Ingredients:

1 ½ teaspoons olive oil
1 cup diced peeled sweet potato
1 cup small cauliflower florets
¼ cup thinly sliced yellow onion
2 teaspoons Madras curry powder
*½ cup vegetable broth
¼ teaspoon salt
1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), rinsed and drained
1 (14.5 ounce) can no-salt added diced tomatoes, undrained
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
½ cup plain reduced-fat Greek yogurt (optional)
¼ cup unsalted cashew pieces (optional) 

* I used more broth than it called for.

Serve over rice of your choosing (and cook according to package directions).


Directions:
  • Heat olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
  • Add sweet potato to pan, sauté about 3 minutes.
  • Decrease heat to medium.
  • Add cauliflower, onion, and curry powder; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
  • Add broth and next 3 ingredients (through tomatoes), bring to boil.
  • Cover, reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally.
  • Sprinkle with cilantro and cashew pieces (if using).
  • Serve over rice of your choosing.
  • Serve with Greek yogurt (if using).

Source: Cooking Light, Aug 2010











When I made this I forgot I didn't have any cilantro on hand.  It would've looked prettier with some green sprinkled on top...and it would've tasted awesome! 

Oh well.  Next time.

It still was yummy, even without the green.



3 comments:

  1. Looks very good. Too bad Hubby has a thing against chickpeas. :-( I mean what did a little chickpea ever do to him? Don't even think about mentioning the word Hummus in front of him ha-ha! He also sticks his nose up when he hears Curry mentioned. *sigh* He's getting harder to cook for in his old age and is not very adventurous culinary wise! Looks like I unfortunately won't be able to try this in our house. Looks very good though. -Mom F.-

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds delish! I'll have to try it out. Thanks for following my blog :)

    Jacki
    http://raneydaymom.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you...thanks for commenting!