Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Low Fat Banana Muffins

The same day I made my banana cookies, I also baked up some muffins!

What can I say, I went bananas! 

(pun intended...)

Obviously, I had a lot of overly ripe bananas (with my hubby gone, we have one less eater in the house, so our bananas last long these days!)

I love my mom's muffins, and mine never seem to compare...but until I master her recipes (which I may never) I will post how I made my muffins this time around.

I made a lower fat version, on purpose, so that I feel good about giving them to our 19 month old, Riley!

She dug 'em. 


Low Fat Banana Muffins
(Printable Recipe)


Ingredients:

1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
Pinch of salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
*1/4 cup canola oil
2/3 cup skim milk
1 egg lightly beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 ripe bananas, mashed


Directions:
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  • Coat a 12-cup muffin pan with cooking spray.
  • In a large bowl stir flours, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon together. 
  • Make a well in the center of the flour mixture.
  • In a separate bowl combine oil, milk, egg and vanilla with a whisk.
  • Add to flour mixture and stir just until combined.
  • Fill muffin cups 2/3 full with mixture.
  • Bake for 18-22 minutes, until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
* You could use applesauce in place of the oil too!

Source:  slightly adapted from About.com


I made big muffins so couldn't fill all 12 muffin cups!

I look exhausted (probably because I was) and look at my hair, ha!
...but the muffins look good!!
Enjoy!


2 comments:

  1. I'm jealous of all the baking and tasty treats you've been making. I have been going through baking withdrawl this year LOL. Everything you make looks yummy and good to know that treats can be healthier. Thanks for sharing all the recipes and pictures. Love you! -Mom.F.-

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you...thanks for commenting!