Sunday, November 20, 2011

jibber jabber

Riley & I have been having a good week.  Its been busy...but a good kind of busy.  We're getting prepared to visit family over Thanksgiving!

We've just been hanging out in between all the rushing around.  We had Emillie and Hannah over here yesterday.  We did some shopping...and we got to Skype with Aaron!  Also, they worked on a little craft while watching Fred Claus (first Christmas movie we have watched) and I too worked on some stuff.  I feel very accomplished this weekend!

Can you see Riley's cute slipper socks?!
Riley watched one of her Einstein DVDs the other night while I was getting organized in the kitchen.  But then I decided to come out and join her a little bit and took some video of her bobbing up and down to the music.


The weather has been nice the last couple days, after the rain we had.  Today was in the 60s!  So nice.  Even our cat, Tater (Tot), can tell.  He's been in the window more lately.


I've been baking up a storm this past week (tried a few new cookie recipes).  And, unfortunately, eating some cookies after they get out of the oven.  I don't know about you but I have a very hard time staying away from fresh, warm cookies straight from the oven.  They call to me!  After I sample them, they go straight in the freezer after cooled.  Out. of. sight.

The first week of my diet and exercise journaling I did great!  I even lost a pound.  This week I've stayed the same.  Honestly, I'm happy with that.  I haven't had much of a chance to get out and run or exercise much this week with all our errands, play dates, baking, etc.

**side note: It's tough being the only parent home with Riley at times.  I have to say a big thing I miss is going out for a jog while Aaron stayed home with her.  Oh well, I'll get that back eventually.  I'm dying to get a treadmill but we need to move first - this house can't fit one or handle it (I'll fall through the floor, ha ha).  I just had to gripe for a moment.

And another reason my weight stayed the same...the cookies.  This time of year is rough.  I love baking and love all the delicious cookies and other holiday goodies!!  They do make me smile.

Anyway, I'm going to keep journaling through the holidays even if my weight stays the same.  At least it'll help me be aware of what I'm putting in my mouth, and help me track the exercise that I am able to do.

Also, I am attending this event at my church on Dec 13.  They are having a baking contest and I decided to submit a recipe for it (sort of last minute).  They only picked 15 recipes and mine was chosen!  Honestly, I was thinking it probably wouldn't be chosen because it's not that fancy of a recipe but the cookies do look pretty.  Here's a picture...



I've never made them before so I'm a little nervous.  I like to know that the cookies are good before giving them away or worse...putting them in a contest!  Yeah - and on top of that I have to bake 6 dozen of them for that event.  Ha ha.  I don't even know when I can do that.  I want the cookies to stay fresh, so should I cook them the night before?  I may have to make a batch prior to that night to make sure they come out alright and I know what I'm doing.  They aren't cookies that would be easy to freeze because a Hershey kiss is in the middle!  What are your ideas and suggestions??  Help!  I don't know what I got myself into...

I'm still doing the cookie swap I told you about earlier too!  Those will be sent out by Dec 5.  A total of 3 dozen I have to bake.  I think I'm doing a cookie bar.  (Check back here on Dec 12 for my recipe!)  Anyway, at least those cookies won't get in my way for these 6 dozen...geesh.

Needless to say, I'm busy - busy baking!

3 comments:

  1. Just a note on the cookies. You may want to bake a batch as soon as possible and try freezing a few. Let them freeze for a week and then let them thaw and give them a try. Do they still look good? Do they still taste fresh? That way you will know wether you can make them early and freeze or not. If you do freeze them I would freeze all the red ones together in one container and all the green ones together. That way you could stack the upper layers of cookies between the cookies on the bottom thereby making room for the "kiss" on the bottom layer to stand up between the next layer etc. Does that make sense? That is how I store my Peanut Blossoms although I never freeze them for fear the chocolate "kiss" will not look as nice. If you don't have enough freezer space, maybe you could bake one batch 2 nights before the event and do all the red and then the night before do a second batch in the green. I would think they would still be very fresh. Can you get 6 dozen out of 2 batches?

    By the way they are very festive looking cookies. Good luck in the contest and with your cookie swap.

    Love, Mom F.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the suggestions, Mom! No - I think I have to make 3 batches, unfortunately. I don't have much freezer space either. I would normally freeze any cookies but with the "kiss" I just don't think it'd freeze well - and maybe fall off or something after thawing. I think I'm going to just be VERY busy baking the two days prior to this event. Ha! :) I'll keep ya posted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those cookies look delicious! I've never frozen any cookies with a Hershey kiss in them before so I have no advice (although the fact that your cookies MAKE it to the freezer pretty much blows my mind, as mine seem to disappear into tummies almost instantaneously..).

    Also, do you happen to have a jogger stroller? That is the only way I can get out of the house these days. By the time Steve gets home it's pitch-black outside. Plus, a little added resistance! LOL

    Hope y'all had a very happy Thanksgiving!!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you...thanks for commenting!