For the Cookie Swap...

I made Peanut Brittle Blondies.
This was a new recipe; I had never made before! I love peanut brittle and it's a favorite holiday candy. I thought the idea of it inside a brownie...even better!
If you are looking for a good, rich, sturdy bar (maybe something to mail?) give these a try! Obviously, you have to like peanut brittle...and if you don't, well then boo hoo for you! Ha ha.
PEANUT BRITTLE BLONDIES
A rich and sturdy cookie barIngredients:
1 ½ cups firmly packed light brown sugar
¾ cup butter2 large eggs
2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
2 ½ teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
*3 cups coarsely crushed peanut brittle (about 14 ounces)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Directions:
· Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
· Combine brown sugar and butter in a saucepan over medium heat; heat until butter is melted.· Remove from heat; let cool slightly.
· Add eggs, one at a time, beating until blended.
· Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl; stir into brown sugar mixture.
· Stir in peanut brittle and vanilla.
· Press into a greased and floured 13 x 9 baking dish.
· Bake for 25 minutes, or until golden brown.
· Cool in dish on a wire rack.
· Cut into bars when completely cool.
*I used Old Dominion Peanut Company’s Old-Fashioned Peanut Brittle (comes in 6 ounce boxes).
Source: Hallmark Christmas Cookies, 2005
After baking these (which was really easy!) I had to package them both securely (so they could mail) and pretty (so that I would approve).
I decided on small white boxes (I bought blouse boxes from Target). And to (hopefully) preserve some freshness while shipping, I wrapped each bar in Saran wrap. Not the most attractive package job, but at least the wrap was clear so you could see the bars when opening the box. I added extra Parchment Paper in between the gaps so that the bars wouldn't move around too much inside the box while in transit.
I then assembled all three boxes (one of the rules of the swap was to give a dozen cookies/bars to each of our swap matches). I bought some gold ribbon to wrap around the boxes.
I went with a color theme...gold (to match the bars) and dark red (to add a holiday touch)!
I then made a copy of my recipe and tucked that behind the ribbon on each box.
I also included a note to each recipient with a brief description of the cookie bar they were receiving and who it was from (me!)
I just printed the note off my computer (since my handwriting has gotten sloppy) and glued that to a piece of dark red card stock (again, to go with my color theme).
I worked on a clean, large surface so that I didn't include anything else in the packages that I didn't want to (like one of Riley's toys...or a piece of food leftover from dinner)!
I used tissue paper that I bought at Target (totally matching my color theme), three small-ish boxes, and bubble wrap to finish packing the cookies!
I wrapped the outside of the white blouse box that had my bars inside, with bubble wrap. I then used tissue paper on top of that, so that when the box was opened they would see pretty paper!
Here is a lovely blog post from Rachel over at little Chef BIG Appetite about receiving my box in the mail! It was fun reading what one of my recipients thought of the bars. Thanks again, Rachel! (I also sent my cookies to Kelley from The Culinary Enthusiast and Lindsey from Feasibly Happy.)
You already saw the kinds of cookies I received in the mail. If you haven't, please read the post of mine and then visit my senders' blogs for their recipes too!
Aside from baking cookies...and eating them, the big thing about this swap is that it connects you to other (food) bloggers out there. Some of the bloggers I was introduced to are solely food bloggers, others blog about food along with other passions of theirs, and some are momma bloggers like me!
It's a lot of fun!
So...are you sold? Do you want to participate next year? If so click here. You can sign up to receive notification about the swap next year. It's definitely a good idea, that way you don't have to remember about it one year from now! They'll remember for you.
Thank you again to all of you who had me as your "match." I really enjoyed your cookies...actually, I still am enjoying them! I even have been kind enough to share.
Thank you to Julie & Lindsay for hosting such a great Cookie Swap!
I'm done...that's it from me. Now, go eat a cookie!!

These cookie bars were awesome! Yay for great cookies and new friends! Thanks again Abby.
ReplyDeleteThose look great! I am kind of a peanut butter junkie so these sound like my kinda snack. ;)
ReplyDelete