I kept going back and forth on whether or not to put up our normal, big, Christmas tree. Here's our tree pic from last year. (My hubby is a much better photographer than me!)
Anyway, I decided not to put up our regular tree.
I had a smaller, white, artificial tree that Aaron's parents had given us last year (along with the lights and bulbs for it too!) so I put that up instead. It's pretty cute! Though white isn't my #1 color for a tree (mainly because we don't have anything in the house that is white to go with it...) Regardless, I'm very thankful for the (free) tree and it looks good on one of the end tables near our couch.
I'm so sorry...the picture above does not flatter this tree...it looks so sad and pathetic! Ha ha. I didn't know what settings to use on Aaron's camera and really didn't want to take the time to learn how. My "point and shoot" camera pic will just have to do! Deal with it.
Notice the tree skirt? It's a placemat. You can call it ghetto...but I'd like to call it genius!
If I can be totally honest, I cried a little the day I put up the decorations (yeah, just a little!) because I was missing Aaron. Which is funny in a way, because Aaron hates putting up the decorations for Christmas, while I love it. So you'd think I'd be joyously putting the decorations up by myself, while whistling...and putting them wherever I wanted...without any complaints! ;) Actually, I did do that. Ha ha. But then I cried. I missed him; it felt so odd to be doing it alone without him.
I didn't put up our normal tree for several reasons...
1. I don't have the patience or energy to bring it down from the attic and do all that work. You can say it, LAZY.
2. I didn't want to ask for help (even though I know a few people who would've helped and even offered!)
3. I was afraid if I had that tree up I would be more sad seeing it, knowing that Aaron can't.
4. It's a different Christmas!
#3 and #4 stuck out.
I was thinking of Aaron. If he doesn't have a tree, then I didn't want one either. At least not our normal tree. I think it's only fair that we all go without it this year. It'll make next year all the more special, when we're together.
(Besides, Riley & I will be celebrating Christmas this year with my family so we'll have a big tree to enjoy then!)
So, the little tree won. Because it's a different kind of Christmas around here - I felt it appropriate to put up a different tree. It was fitting. Do you agree or disagree? Actually, I don't care what you think! The little tree is staying.
Riley & I are enjoying our white tree (she calls it "tree - no touch")...and the decorations I put up. It still feels like Christmas around here - just a different kind of one...
And different Christmas or not, we are celebrating this holiday season with joy and thanks; and with love in our hearts!
Even so, we miss you Aaron.

Aw, that totally makes sense. I haven't thought about what we'll do decorations-wise during the deployment, but I'm pretty sure that there won't be as many. Kinda sad, but at the same time, it's not the decorations that make the season, ya know? :) I like your little tree. I think it's cute!
ReplyDeleteDon't be silly, your mini tree is just adorable!!:) You're doing fine this season. You and Riley get to rock out to girls only christmas :) It will be fun and you will both get through it. Like you mention, next year will be "Back to normal" so you can enjoy it then. :)
ReplyDeletexoxo
~Christienne
Hey Abby! I just wanted to let you know that I love love my bars! They are delicious and I am so in love with the way you packaged them! Very cute. I laughed when I read your latest post, Hubs was deployed last year during Christmas and it very much changes everything, and it does make things different the next year. This is our second Christmas, but first in the same house :) I am a new follower! - Linds
ReplyDeleteThanks for the kind words, ladies! :) @ Linds...I'm so glad you liked the bars, thanks for following!
ReplyDeleteAwww Abby I read this post and it made me so sad for you, Riley, the girls and Aaron!!! I can't even imagine how hard this is for you all! We love you very much and we miss you and wish you could spend Christmas with us but we are so so so thankful you got to spend Thanksgiving with us! That was such a special treat!!
ReplyDeleteThanks Carrie! We'll be OK. Just missing Aaron this holiday season and I know he feels the same. We had a great time at Thanksgiving! Miss you guys already.
ReplyDelete