Saturday, February 4, 2012

Oatmeal Coconut Chocolate-Chip Cookies

My mom came for an overnight this past week.

I wanted to make cookies.  (Shocker!)  And too, I wanted her to take some home.

My mom gave me this recipe awhile back.  This is only the second or third time (max) that I've made them.  I'm going to keep them as a frequent cookie around here. 

I love coconut stuff.  (My mom does too.)  But what we love most about these cookies?  There is no butter!  Yup, you heard me right.  And in place of half the oil, I use applesauce...even better!

A sweet treat when you need something, but it won't completely knock you over either! 



The hardest part of this recipe is finding unsweetened shredded coconut.  Most grocery stores only sell sweetened.  Unfortunately, I won't be any help here...my mom gets my coconut from a friend (it's made by Barnstead Pantry).  I know that Bob's Red Mill sells it too (just not sure which stores).  I would definitely suggest looking in Whole Foods, or the like.  And too, whenever you find it - buy a lot!  It'll keep well. 

Oatmeal Coconut Chocolate-Chip Cookies
(Printable Recipe)

Ingredients:

2/3 cups unsweetened, shredded coconut
3 cups rolled oats
1 cup dark chocolate chips
1 cup plus 4 tablespoons whole-wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 scant teaspoon salt
*1 cup canola oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
2 large eggs

* In place of 1/2 cup oil, I used unsweetened (natural) applesauce.

Directions:
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  • Spread coconut on a baking sheet (stirring occasionally) and cook until lightly golden, 4-5 minutes.  Allow to cool.
  • Combine oats, chocolate chips, and coconut in a medium bowl. 
  • In a separate medium bowl, sift together flour, baking soda and salt.
  • In a large bowl, beat oil (and applesauce, if using), vanilla, and sugar on low speed.  Add eggs and beat until smooth.
  • Stir in flour mixture just until smooth.  Do not over mix!
  • Stir in oat mixture just until combined.
  • Drop by tablespoons onto a lightly greased cookie sheet, spacing a couple inches apart.
  • Bake for 11-14 minutes (rotate pan halfway through), until cookie edges and centers are uniformly firm.  (If you want softer cookies, take them out when the edges are set but centers are still a little soft.) 
  • Cool 5 minutes and then transfer to a rack to cool completely.



Three for me, please!

OK, alright.  Maybe just two.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you...thanks for commenting!