It's official, I'm 30 years old.
Saying I'm "30" really creeps me out in a way, because when younger that age seemed old. It's a grown up age. It's an age many fear crossing. I'm not sure what 30 is supposed to feel like. I just know I don't feel old, or upset about being 30. Is that good or bad? I guess I'm just OK with it. I didn't dread this birthday at all (and I know some do) but I also didn't enter it feeling overly excited either. I guess it's just one of those things...it is what it is!
What I can tell you is that I'm happy at this point in my life, so maybe that makes being 30 all the easier. I feel so blessed in my life and love where I'm at right now. I do feel grown up. I'm living that grown up life - married with kids. I think 30 fits me, even more than 29 did ;)
Many, like my husband, dread birthdays - dread being a year older. Especially the older we get, right? I have always loved my birthday, maybe just as much as loving Christmas even. I love having a day for me. I'm not a selfish person at all, and since being a mom really have put a lot of my needs and wants aside - even more than before. But I'll admit enjoying and celebrating "my" day is something I fully take advantage of! It's awesome. My birthday is mine!
I also love reflecting on my life on the day of my birthday. Instead of dreading being another year older, and feeling down about it - I like to celebrate my life, and thanking God. Knowing that I have lived another year and have been on this earth for 30 years truly gives me something to celebrate. Life is so precious and it's one thing I try my hardest not to take for granted. None of us know when our time is up, but we all know people who have left this earth way too soon. It just gives me something to think about. Something to always remember.
I will admit I tend to be a negative person, a "realist" as I like to say. I don't always see the bright side of things, or even choose to see it. But on my birthday, I truly do see the bright side and I celebrate it. I smile. I laugh. I drink margaritas. I am happy.
This year for my 30th, Aaron and I went to Gettysburg, Hershey and Lancaster, PA. Riley stayed with her grandparents in MD while we were gone. This was our very first trip away from Riley so we wanted to do something somewhat local (and more affordable). We've never been to Gettysburg and it was Aaron's first time to Hershey too. While we thought of Riley every single day, and even talked about her, we truly did enjoy our alone time. We knew she was in good hands and probably having a blast so it didn't make us nervous being away from her. For me, it was absolutely a vacation. I got to have "me" time for a full weekend and loved it! I think I showered more this past weekend than I typically do in a week. Ha! It was just nice having time to relax and not have to think about caring for Riley for a few days. A much needed break, for all of us.
Thanks again Mom and Dad for watching Riley!
And thank you to everyone for the birthday wishes, cards and gifts. It's always very much appreciated!

Glad you had such a great birthday weekend. It sounds like a blast! The part about showering more in one weekend than you usually do in a week gave me a chuckle. I can totally relate.
ReplyDeleteWe can't wait to see you, Aaron and Riley this weekend. It has been way to long!
<3
Julie
I'm so glad u had a good time and a much needed break! I have to say I totally and literally lol about the shower thing I can totally relate!!! Ha ha :)
ReplyDelete