I figured she would like it - being Miss Active and all...
Soccer was a sport my brother and I played growing up, so it's familiar. A good first sport to learn I guess (in my eyes). To each his own.
Actually, I think Riley would love dancing or gymnastics...right?! We'll see.
So anyway, last Sunday was her first soccer practice.
My mistake was we got there too early (we actually were on time since they told us to arrive 15 min early to get acquainted).
All that did was make Riley play soccer, on her own, for 10 minutes. Or, what seemed a life time.
By the time practice officially started - she was like "can we go home?" HA! "Ummm, No. I paid money for this kid - you will play!!" No, I didn't say that to her. But yes, I thought it. I actually was very encouraging and supportive. Of course, duh.
She ended up getting into it. I think.
Actually, for being so rambunctious she was one of the slowest kids there. It was like someone sucked the energy right out of her before we started.
I may need to rethink what I feed her before going and dressing her properly (her pants were a little small, since she's so tall now...and it was windy and she needed more on. My fault.)
Knowing Riley I think she just needs time to get acquainted.
Riley is also a perfectionist. She likes to do things right. Part of why she wanted to quit was she didn't feel like she was doing it "good." While all the kids were running around with the ball - she was more like walking around, observing everyone. ;) That's OK!
And really, she's only 4 years old. I didn't play soccer at 4 years old. And I surely don't care if she decides it's not fun. We'll try again in the future - or something different. Time will tell.
She is wanting to keep playing for now. She's ready for Sunday. So, we'll see what our next practice brings... We're excited. She even has a new, pink soccer ball!
Also, on the plus side, it's supposed to be in the 70's! YES.
I think she'll get in the groove after having gone a couple of times. She's slower to warm up (like her Momma).
![]() |
| Riley is in middle - pony tail, pink pants, light blue shirt |
![]() |
| Riley is on the left with the hood on. |
![]() |
| Riley on right. |



