Friday, November 26, 2010

So much to be thankful for...

I hope that everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving.  It's such a nice holiday and one that, especially, makes us think about what we're thankful for.  I can't help but think about my life; where I've been, what I've done, and who has been by my side along the way.  I have many things to be thankful for.  What tops my list most these days, is being a mother.

I love Emillie and Hannah so very much, but I never have felt like a mother to them.  They have a mother.  If anything, I have felt like a big sister or just another role model for them to look up to.  Even saying the word "stepmother" seems so odd to me.  I know that's my title, but it still has the word "mother" in it.  I love my relationship with the girls and they give me so much joy.  Even if I don't feel like a mother to them, I absolutely love the fact that they are my stepdaughters.  Being a stepmother is not something that we all are and I feel privileged that I am.  I'm thankful for the girls, and am so happy they are in my life.  But, I still never knew what it felt like to be a mother until Riley came along. 

The second Riley came into this world, my life changed.  She's my blood.  It's a bond like no other.  My love for Riley is different than my love for Emillie and Hannah and I think that's completely natural.  We all can experience love in different ways.  I now know how deep a mother's love is.  It's so special, so powerful.  I am a mother now, and I feel it 100%.   

I thank God for my life, my family, my daughters...



********

We were terrible at taking pictures this Thanksgiving.  You'd think we would've been on top of it, being Riley's first one an all...but we weren't.  The day was busy.  We had my parents over and Emillie and Hannah too.  The weather outside was a bit dreary, cold and rainy.  We even had some snow flurries during the morning hours!  We stayed inside all day.  Lots of talking, cooking, eating, laughing, and fun.  We even watched The Muppet's Christmas Carol!  A family favorite.  Thank you Mom and Dad for coming up to spend the day with us.  We enjoyed your company!










Even though we have no pictures of the food - we all had turkey, even Riley.  Though, hers came later since she was napping when we ate, and hers came from a jar.  It was her first taste of turkey, and she liked it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you...thanks for commenting!